Saturday, April 02, 2005

040205

Over the next couple of weeks, I seem to have my work cut out for me. I seem to have been abandonned by MTS.

While I do have a fair amount of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript knowledge and can use Dreamweaver, Fireworks, and Flash to some extent, am I ready to make the jump into web development by myself. They usually handle the Flash stuff. I mean I know the basics of creating an animation but I don't know all that I need to know of Flash to really "bust it down." I don't know about the connectors and I know nothing about ActionScript. Hell, the little I know of JavaScript is kicking my butt.

I guess I've got to do what I've got to do, even thought I know I'm about to take a licking. I have two (2) sites pending, fortunately without deadlines. Anyway, here's my plan:

I'm going to fake it.

  1. I will buy time by doing all of the necessary stuff that seems unimportant.
    • I will talk them out of an all Flash site. They want one because it looks nice and the pretty site seems to be a status symbol for them. Really, it isn't the best direction to go if you are concerned about search engine optimization.
    • I need to get them to reword the site to increase the keyword density for search engines.
    • I'm going to make them aware of things that I think will make the site more appealing to their audience and make them want to come back, i.e. a sidebar with "tips" relevant to the market they are serving.
  2. Meanwhile, I will learn what I need to accomplish the project goals.
  3. Currently, I am trying to learn how to use Flash Components. It's not going very well because the tutorial is trying to introduce me to ActionScript and I just can't seem to get it, but I will... shortly. I just need to apply it.

They don't care how it gets done, so long as it gets done. They want it to look good and get their message accross and don't understand that what looks good to them may prevent the imformation from getting to the desired destination.

They've already approved a pretty simple design. Now all I will need to do is translate the design from Flash to CSS.

Since I began writting this, I realize I am up to it. I will take it as a learning experience and handle my business. I will not lose!

No comments: