Sunday, January 01, 2006

A story about me

I tried to post this on New Year's day, but 43 People wasn't posting it. I had to post it manually on Saturday, January 7, 2006.

Hmmm! I have never really known how to describe or market myself. In fact on an interview the hardest question, for me, has to be “Sell yourself to me.” If it was as simple as, take a look at what I’ve done or give me a chance, see what I can do. I could be saved much anxiety and stress. I can, however, describe events and my desires in great detail with a little focus. “Tell your story,” that’s one of those sell yourself to me statements. I chose to write this because I thought it a challenge. It would be fitting in this year, my year of challenges.

Life and it’s circle of pain…

To borrow from Styles P, “Life is a circle of pain.” This holds true, for me especially. Growing up pretty much sucked. My sister and I have survived thieves, drug addicts, people trying to hurt us by using the condition of others against us. We grew up by ourselves mostly. I remember braiding her hair as best I could because there was no one else there to do it. I was ward of the state. When my mother started to sober up, I was already grown. I was like 16 and didn’t need someone who didn’t do right to tell me what she felt I was doing wrong.

I was once afraid of change. I tried so hard not to graduate and still did. Once change began to happen, it was welcomed. I had been hustling on the low almost all my life. Whether selling, lending or running, I did it. Not proud of all of it, but I made it happen. I never quit. I never said die. I’ve been shot at and stabbed. My mother cut me on my stomach with the butcher knife she was using to cut some chicken when I was about ten, because when I hugged her she thought I was trying to strangle her. I had no fears. I developed them later.

When I was 19 I found out that I would be a father. I had always wanted a girl. I mean I raised my step daughter up until that point. She may not call me “Daddy,” but she puts no man before me. For me that means more. When I found out she was pregnant, I knew it would be a boy, so that’s what I wanted. This was also the first time I was ever afraid to die. About two weeks later, I broke down. I was afraid that I wouldn’t be a good father.

She and I lasted less than a year after he was born. I tried to make it work.

2005 was the 1st year my primary fear was realized. This is the 1st time, since my son was born, I could not provide for him. He cost me my job in 2004.

My second fear, being alone, was forced on me recently as well. Towards the end of 2004 I noticed that the closest person to me, or so I thought was moving away from me. She swore that this wasn’t the case and when I needed her most she was not there for me. I supported her thru all her trials and in the end it was all in vain. I think it’s funny how when people have nothing they are willing to give their all and when they have somethings they are willing to give nothing. I was never and never will be like that.

Now, as we close 2005 and the most painful chapter in my life, I hope. I, not too long ago, was without hope, faith and will. Oooops, now entering the the New Year, I am full of what I see in my future.

Now ask me, what is it I see before my fist?

No comments: