Thursday, December 14, 2006

Extremely Proud Father

This morning after work I went to my son's Prep For Prep meeting. He was in his Junior Achievement session. Two completely different things.

Within Prep for Prep he has the opportunity to sharpen and build his skills. For the next two years, he will be prepped for his future and to exceed standards on every level. As most of you already know. He is already "gifted and talented." He would be taking on the Prep for Prep curriculum on in addition to his already advanced coursework. During the course of the program he will also have opportunities for trips to various parts of the country, both educational and recreational, and also chances to study abroad. He wants to go to France and England. He would be giving up 7 weeks of his summer for the next 2 years and go to sessions on Wednesdays after school and Saturdays. In all this is a huge opportunity for him.

I wish I had the opportunity to take part in something like this when I was his age. I will not force it on him, however. He has to make the choice to invest himself in program and take advantage of all of the opportunities we are trying to open up.

I woke up after my nap to a voicemail from his teacher. She wanted to tell me what a pleasure it is to work with him, how hard he is working and how proud I should be of him. Proud… understatment! I called her back a little while ago and she recognized my voice immediately. She went on to say that he is a great mathematician, an artist and a brilliant story teller.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's amazing!! Congratulations to you both! He's just a chip off the ol' block, eh? ;-)