Thursday, March 24, 2005

032405

I love my son, my minimee, my lil' boy. I am proud of him.

Hmmmm, still thinking. I did make some progress though. Some times I get afraid to express myself, because even though I am not afraid I hate rejection.

This is just the beginning. On Monday, the 21st, I had the usual meeting with IGT Marketing. I am normally passive and let the meeting go as it would've if I wasn't part of it. I just listen in and they update me about any projects I may be working on¹ and projects they are trying to secure for me². This meeting was different. I just went at them.

They approved the design contracts that they had previously rejected. This was a big win for me. I have been working with them without a contract for a little less than a year. They were supposed to propose a contract to me in order to codify our working relationship. They are good people and I don't mind how we deal with each other. However, they bring their clients to me. I've done some work, whether it be research or sketches, only to hear that they heard from a friend or a relative that they can get it done cheaper. Honestly, if they can find it cheaper than what I'm offering, then the phrase "You get what you pay for!" applies, and they are finding this to be true. Which is why my quotes are good for only thirty days from the date they are given.

An even tougher sell was Vector over Raster. I used to design or redesign logos in vector format. I prefer vectors to rasters because they are more flexible and whether they are scaled up or down they will always contain the same amount of detail but may not be as detailed as rasters. Raster images, on the other hand, can be photorealistic but if you enlarge the image it will lose quality and detail. My challenge came in getting them to understand the difference between the two (2). I'm not sure they completely understand, but they did notice the quality difference, which is a step in the right direction.

  1. This is is always short because I don't usually have a lot of projects.
  2. More often, but it seems that, sometimes, even though they are working on it, "it" never happens.

No comments: