Friday, September 16, 2005

Dashboard

Dashboard 091605, originally uploaded by Dramatic. This is my Dashboard with my most frequently used widgets open. Seen here is the from left to right then top to bottom: Transmit, Backpack, GPeek, Countdown Calendar, Weather, World Clock, Oblique Strategies, Colorstrology, Calendar, iCal Events, iTunes, Wikipedia, Dictionary and Sing That iTune.

Well, as stated in the caption. My dashboard has a lot of my "at a glance" tools. My current favorite is Oblique Strategies. I have been suffering from various blocks lately — i.e. writer's and creative block.

I read somewhere recently that most widgets don't do anything that can't be done by going to the corresponding desktop app or to your browser. This is true but you do it in far less clicks and usually without disturbing what you are doing. Imagine the two (2) clicks to open and close the dashboard or the single click and hold to open on–click and close on–release as opposed to opening Firefox or Safari and, if you were savvy enough to add it to your bookmark toolbar, go to AccuWeather.com, then close your browser.

Hmmm! I wonder if I can trim down the clutter on my Dashboard and still be able to see everything I wish to when I click the single button.

As you can see I made a joke of the recent George Bush Impeachment petitions. While I think he should be impeached because he is overall ineffective, I think that the heavier things can be made lighter with a bit of humor.

No comments: