Monday, September 11, 2006

911: 5 Years Ago

Here is my entry among the myriad of 911 posts. 5 years ago today I was at work, then Kinko's. Then everything just went mad. People running uptown screaming. No one really knew what was up. We were all trying to use our cell phones and got no signals.

When we finally started hearing bits and pieces, I just wanted to make sure my son was OK. I didn't know what happened until I got home, like 8pm -- I had been trying since about noon. Had to take a round about route.

Son... Check! Destiny... Where the fuck is Destiny? OK got a call a little while after that. Got a lift with some girl she worked with and her boyfriend, was hold up at her house all day. "Can I take a cab? I want to be with you."

Nothing really like hit me until the next morning when I went to Junior's to get all of us some breakfast and had to console the girl that was taking my order. Her aunt was lost. It didn't even hit home when I tried to go to work and Deon and Destiny were crying for me to stay.

So many lives lost. So many families broken. So many conspiracy theories born. Just remember! This is one more piece of history that I will never be able to show my son. This is New York, we picked up the pieces and kept it moving, but we never forgot.

Today, I work just over the bridge from Ground Zero. I pass it every morning as I leave work.

No comments: